Welland History .ca

Historic EVENTS in and around Welland

The EVENTS in and around Welland

This is where you will find interesting stories of
various EVENTS in and around Welland.
Currently we have a lot of stories about
businesses and their owners in the 1800s and 1900s.

HOTEL CHANGE

[WellandTribune, 12 March 1897]

Fred Pitton, ex landlord of the Arlington, has sold out to Louis Delcomyn of Hamilton, who will endeavor to deserve and retain the large patronage extended to the house.

S. HAYS

[WellandTribune, 12 March 1897]

S. HAYS and family will move back from Port Colborne to Welland, and will occupy the upstairs of the Lounsbury block as a residence and photo gallery, for which purposes the premises are now being fitted.

CONTRACTOR Vanderburgh

[Welland Tribune, 5 March 1897]

CONTRACTOR Vanderburgh is getting some material on the ground to build the new hose reel house at the west end of the canal bridge. The contract price is about $270.

BROKEN LEG

[Welland Tribune, 5 March 1897]

Clarence Doan, who delivers milk for Bald Bros., and who had an arm broken in a runaway a short time ago, met with another bad accident last Friday morning. He and Dais Bald were on the delivery wagon driving past James O’Neal’s when the hind axle broke and the wagon turned over, catching the lad’s leg under the box and breaking it. Fortunately Mr. O’Neal was just coming out of the house when the accident occurred, and grabbed the horse as it was about to take a lunge and run away with the two shut in the covered wagon. Without any other assistance Mr. O’Neal managed to get the horse unhitched, get the boys out, send Dais for a doctor, and carry young Doan home.

BUSINESS CHANGES

[Welland Tribune, 8 February 1889]

Mr. George A. Philips is now carrying on the bakery business formerly Mr. Everingham’s. Mr. Everingham will probably re-enter business in Toronto. …Mr. James H. Hodges has removed his store to the building formerly occupied by Crayton & Hodges, East Main street. …The building on the corner of West Main and Frazer streets, now occupied by Rosett’s butcher shop, is to be enlarged and occupied by Mr. James Morwood’s store. Another building will probably be erected on the same lot for Rosett Bros….Mr. Herbert Willett will probably start business in the store in his block to be vacated by Mr. Morwood…..Mr. J.D. Reilly has sold out his boot and shoe store business to Mr. Chas. Seger…Mr. O.H. Garner has purchased the stationery stock of A.D. Hansell, Thorold, and has added it to his Welland business….Mr. Bert Adley has bought the Duncan property on West Main street, occupied last season by Mr. Babion as a wareroom for agricultural machinery….Mr. A. Lawrence will assume management of his newly purchased business next week. We welcome him and his family as a valuable addition to the community.

NEW PARTNERSHIP

[Welland Tribune, 8 February 1889]

That energetic implement man, Mr. W.G. Somerville, has “taken unto himself a partner” Mr. C. Trimble,-and, like himself, Mr. Trimble is an experienced and reliable man in the lines which he represents-agricultural machinery of all kinds. Their place of business will be at Agricultural Hall, North Main St.-that well-known depot for farmers’ supplies. The new firm will add largely to their stock, and be prepared to suit everyone who favors them with a call.

E.A. SAUTER BUSINESS

[Welland Tribune, 15 February 1889]

Mr. Lawrence, successor to Mr .E.A. Sauter, has assumed the business. A large lot of new furniture, &c., will be received in a few days and added to the present stock. Give Mr. Lawrence a call.

CARD OF THANKS-The undersigned thanks the public of Welland and vicinity for the very liberal patronage bestowed upon him in the past; and desires to bespeak a continuance of the same for his successor Mr. A Lawrence, who has had eighteen years’ experience in the furniture and undertaking business, and who the undersigned confidently recommends as worthy of patronage and able to give full satisfaction to all who may favor him.

E.A. SAUTER, Welland, Feb. 14, 1889

CENTRAL SCHOOL

[Welland Tribune, 15 February 1889]

The question of a site for a central public school is being agitated. The bridge may be taken as the centre of the town as to population, and a site very close to the bridge would cost heavily, as a considerable quantity of land would be required. If considered efficiently central, the third ward school premises would offer the most feasible conditions, as the school board already owns the site, an acre, we believe, fronting on three streets. This would reduce the cost of the proposed change by probably one-half, an item worthy of the most serious consideration.

NEW QUARTERS

[Welland Tribune, 22 February 1889]

The gaol committee met Inspector O’Reilly on Wednesday at Welland, when the matter of securing new homes for gaoler and turnkey was talked over. The committee have several propositions under consideration, one of which is the erection of a double house on the northwest corner of court house grounds to accommodate both officers’ families; – it is practically settled however, that a residence for the turnkey will, at least, be built on this spot. Another proposition is to remove a portion of the gaol wall and erect the gaoler’s residence at the southeast corner of the courthouse-next to the registry office. Still another idea is to purchase the premises now owned by W.J. Best, in rear of registry office, and use that as a home for the gaoler-in case Mr. Best will accept a reasonable figure for the same. Failing in this purchase, the committee might buy some other adjacent property for the purchase. When some definite plan has been settled upon, a sketch of proposed improvements will be submitted to the inspector for approval.

A SOLID IMPROVEMENT

[Welland Tribune, 1 March 1889]

Mr. C Swayze is remodelling his store premises on North Main street. The front windows are to be lowered about eighteen inches and set with large panes of glass; the verandah removed, and the Main street front neatly painted. It will soon take a man with “an heye like an beagle” to find a verandah on our main streets which signifies that we live in a go-ahead town.