Welland History .ca

Historic EVENTS in and around Welland


[Welland Tribune, 28 August 1885]

The Town of Welland voters’ list has just been printed, and an analysis of it will be interesting as giving details respecting the growth and development of the town. The increase is not large, it is true, but it is satisfactory “these times” to know that we are not retrograding-that at least some progress is indicted. And just here we may say, that there has been a far greater advancement in town in the way of adding to, and improving and ornamenting premises, than in mere increase in population.

The number of voters on this year’s list is 657 as against 632 last year-a gain of 25. From the following synopsis of the list for the current year, it will be seen that the standing of the town is very even in all parts:-

No. 1….1884-147   1885-148
No. 2….1884-173   1885-185
No. 3….1884-154   1885-162
No. 4….1884-158   1885-162

This includes municipal voters (women) in both cases. Of these there are this year 41, apportioned ten to each division except Ward No. 3, which has the honor of possessing the old lady wielder of the ballot.

Wards 1 and 2 are on the east side of the canal; Wards 3 and 4 on the west side. The showing between the sides of the canal is therefore as follows:

East side Canal…..333 Increase- 13
West side Canal….324 Increase-12

In other words, the east side, which had a majority of 8 last year has increased its lead to 9.


[Welland Tribune, 28 August 1885]

We understand Mr. H.W. Hobson intends going into the stationery trade, and will open out a fist-class stock (in connection with his drug business) about Sept. 15th. His goods will be new and well selected, and his prices right.


[Welland Tribune, 28 August 1885]

There is a family named Shirley in Sharp county, living between Hardee and Williford, in which the children have been given names that are startling if not euphonious. The old gentleman, whose name is Elisha Shirley, is a tie maker, hewing out ties for the railroads. His wife’s name is Harriet Susannah Maria Jane Shirley, and their oldest daughter, fifteen years old, is called Ann Elizabeth Dixie Shirley. Then comes Benjamin Kirby Smith General Hardee Shirley, aged thirteen; Robert Enos Napoleon Bonaparte Lee Wilkes Booth Shirley, who is nine years old. John Thomas Emanuel Forest Champion Gatewood Shirley is seven years old, while Joseph Wheeler Zollicoffer Stonewall Jackson Sam Hildebrand Sterling Price Shirley is five years old. The family ends with Mary Virginia South Carolina Florida Georgia Alabama Louisiana Shirley, who is three years old. The old gentleman ran for the legislature last year and secured five votes, which shows that a good man does not always get his deserts.

Little Rock, {Ark.} Gazette.


Thorold News

[Welland Tribune, 28 August 1885]

Thorold celebrated her civic holiday on Wednesday with great eclat. The day proved fine, and an immense crowd of spectators gathered in town.

The principal features of the day were the Firemen’s display and games, and the Trades’ procession which was large, creditable and representative. Music was furnished by six bands. The street of the town were handsomely decorated and spammed by two beautiful arches, one at the firemen’s hall, the other near the Welland House. The latter was composed of ladders.

The Welland Firemen attended, accompanied by the Fenwick Band, and had the distinguished honor of winning both the hose reel race and the prize for best uniformed company, and that with the crack companies of St. Catharines and Niagara Falls South to compete with. In all six companies of firemen were present.

In the hose reel race the Welland team comprised Capt. Hutson, M. Vanderburgh, P.W. Raymer, G.B. Swayze, C. Eastman, B. Ellsworth, B. Doan, Thos. Hammond, Peter McMurray, George and Adam Bowman, Wm. Rosette and Wesley Doan.

Ed Rounds and John VanWyck acted as starters at the wheel and gave the “masheen” a hoist that hold well on the first fifty yards. The race was to run 300 yards, then lay 150 feet of hose and make two couplings. The time was: St. Catharines Neptunes, one minute thirty-one seconds; Welland Merritts, one minute nine seconds. The Merritts accord especial praise to their couplers, W. Rosette and Wes. Doan for their rapidity, which tended largely to the success won.

Credit is also due Capt. Ritter for the efficient manner in which he has drilled the company, making an almost incredible improvement during the past two or three weeks, which actually comprises their term of training.

The “boys” it is unnecessary to say, felt highly elated at their success, and returned with brooms aloft, indicative of the sweep made. Long may they wave.


[Welland Tribune, 28 August 1885]

The Port Colborne lacrosse club played the Wellanders here on Tuesday. The match was the most stubbornly contested ever witnessed on the grounds. After a long siege Welland scored and was allowed the first game. The ball was faced for the second game about 4 o’clock, play continuing until after six without result, when the match was declared closed. The wounded limped off or were helped from the field, and will no doubt be sufficiently recovered in a week or two for another brush. The members of both clubs fought like heroes from first to last, and the hatchet was not buried until the majority were too exhausted to play longer.



[Welland Tribune, 28 August 1885]

Brown Bros’ Flouring Mills have been refitted throughout and furnished with twelve sets of rolls of the well-known Ellison manufacture, Milwaukee; also four purifiers, six reels (scalping), two centrific reels, bran duster, two wheat scourers and a separator, all except the rolls from the Geo. T. Smith Mfg. Co., Stratford. The roller process and its results are almost too well known to require explanation. The first roll merely cracks the grain. From this it is passed through the respective rolls and machinery, until the product is turned out as the very finest “patent process” flour made, the residue being made into the several grades of flour and feed known to commerce. These mills are fitted with the most modern and improved engine, weighing and packing processes and machinery throughout, with a capacity from 100 barrels of flour a day upward. The rolls and machinery have been put in under the foremanship of Mr. Geo. T. Skene; and was started on Monday, and works exceptionally smoothly and satisfactorily for new machinery. The grade of flour turned out is pronounced strictly first-class; fully the equal of that produced by any roller mill in Canada, without exception. The church opposite has been leased for a storehouse and is now the receptacle of a large quantity of wheat. Messrs. Brown Bros. contemplates connecting it with their mill, by a frameway which will prove a great advantage.

The mill will give steady employment to six men when worked to full capacity, besides affording a local market for grain, a much needed desideratum, as farmers largely do their trading where they sell their wheat. It must therefore be of material advantage to the town, and we trust it will prove equally remunerative and satisfactory to its enterprising proprietors. The firm now advertise to pay Thorold and St. Catharines prices for wheat, and are taking in large quantities.

Christmas Markets

[Welland Telegraph, 15 December 1885]

             The supply on the market yesterday was a very large one. Farmers’ wagons occupied the market and Main street  as far as the corner of North Main street. They were supplied with everything suitable to the holidays. The fatted turkey, geese, chickens, and even lamb, porker and beef and veal, dressed and quartered, were in bountiful supply. The demand was good, but the opposition in meat supplies at the regular butcher shops was too great, and the supply was displayed to greater advantage than that of the dealers on the public market.

             Best Bros.’ large shops in Griffith’s block were dressed for Christmas in evergreens and artificial flowers. Their display of beef was a fine one, largely from animals fatted specially for their wants at this season. Mr. Jesse Steele, of Humberstone, supplied them with a pair of fine steers. Mr. James Moore supplied a pair of the great fat sheep, and the whole county was tasked indirectly to make up the supply of fatted animals slaughtered  for their Christmas trade.

             The old reliable meat market of W.F. Guest was not behind, but in the two establishments on East Main Street and corner of Hellems Avenue and Division Street, had a supply of everything that could tempt the gourmand or epicure in meats.

             Wood Brothers, on West Main Street, displayed a large supply of meats in all kinds, fatted by them for the holiday trade. Quarters of beef, whole sheep, small porkers, turkeys, geese and fowl of all kinds, tastefully arranged, filled the shops, and as soon as sold, place was filled by surplus supplies from the refrigerator and store rooms.


[Welland Tribune, 10 July 1885]

             Mr. W.J. Tench, purchasing agent of the D.M & M. road, has gone and got married to the belle of Chippawa, Canada, without giving the dear public a chance to gossip about it beforehand. On Sunday, a week ago, Mr. Tench, after informing a few immediate friends of his intention, quietly “lit out” for Her Majesty’s American dominion, and, on Wednesday following, in the presence of a few relatives and intimate friends, was united in marriage to Miss Nellie Allen, of Chippawa, a granddaughter of the late Lieut. Geo. John Murray, K.C.B., Governor of Demerara, etc., and will bring his charming bride home to Marquette on the Nysak which arrived at 11 o’clock this evening. The Mining Journal announces the hour in order that any friends who wish can meet the bridal party on their arrival. Mr. and Mrs. Tench are tendered the hearty congratulations of the Mining Journal staff and sincere wishes for a long and happy future. May the honeymoon always be at full and never set.-Marquette (Mich.) Mining Journal.

 Married: 24 June 1885


[Welland Tribune, 10 July 1885]

              We are pleased to learn that Mr. Brasford, of the Ridgeville Tannery, intends establishing a store here for the sale of leather and purchase of hides, for which purpose he has leased Mr. Lamont’s building opposite Orient Hall. Mr. Brasford’s business will prove a valuable and welcome addition to the town.

Fire: House on Division St.

[Welland Telegraph, 15 December 1885]

             A little before five o’clock on Wednesday morning, a fire was discovered in the house on Division St., owned and occupied by Mr. G.C. Campbell, barber. Mr. Campbell had barely time to get his wife and four little children out before the whole building was completely enveloped in flames.

The house was a frame one, very dry, and burned with almost incredible rapidity. Luckily the wind was blowing from the west and the lot to the east being vacant, the fire was confined to the one building. On account of the wind, partly we suppose, the alarm bell was scarcely two blocks distant from the fire hall, and many who heard it thought it was simply the six o’clock bell ringing. There was some delay in getting up steam on the engine, but under the circumstances it would not have availed much towards saving the house, had the engine been there and ready almost as soon as the fire was discovered. 

Mr. Campbell is known as a hard working and thrifty citizen and many are the expressions of sympathy with him in his loss, and the destruction of the comfortable home he had made for himself by his own industry. The origin of the fire at present is unknown. We understand there was an insurance of $400 in the Norwich Union, on the furniture and $500 in the Northern Co., on the building.