Welland History .ca

Historic EVENTS in and around Welland

BUSINESS CHANGES

[Welland Tribune, 8 February 1889]

Mr. George A. Philips is now carrying on the bakery business formerly Mr. Everingham’s. Mr. Everingham will probably re-enter business in Toronto. …Mr. James H. Hodges has removed his store to the building formerly occupied by Crayton & Hodges, East Main street. …The building on the corner of West Main and Frazer streets, now occupied by Rosett’s butcher shop, is to be enlarged and occupied by Mr. James Morwood’s store. Another building will probably be erected on the same lot for Rosett Bros….Mr. Herbert Willett will probably start business in the store in his block to be vacated by Mr. Morwood…..Mr. J.D. Reilly has sold out his boot and shoe store business to Mr. Chas. Seger…Mr. O.H. Garner has purchased the stationery stock of A.D. Hansell, Thorold, and has added it to his Welland business….Mr. Bert Adley has bought the Duncan property on West Main street, occupied last season by Mr. Babion as a wareroom for agricultural machinery….Mr. A. Lawrence will assume management of his newly purchased business next week. We welcome him and his family as a valuable addition to the community.

NEW PARTNERSHIP

[Welland Tribune, 8 February 1889]

That energetic implement man, Mr. W.G. Somerville, has “taken unto himself a partner” Mr. C. Trimble,-and, like himself, Mr. Trimble is an experienced and reliable man in the lines which he represents-agricultural machinery of all kinds. Their place of business will be at Agricultural Hall, North Main St.-that well-known depot for farmers’ supplies. The new firm will add largely to their stock, and be prepared to suit everyone who favors them with a call.

E.A. SAUTER BUSINESS

[Welland Tribune, 15 February 1889]

Mr. Lawrence, successor to Mr .E.A. Sauter, has assumed the business. A large lot of new furniture, &c., will be received in a few days and added to the present stock. Give Mr. Lawrence a call.

CARD OF THANKS-The undersigned thanks the public of Welland and vicinity for the very liberal patronage bestowed upon him in the past; and desires to bespeak a continuance of the same for his successor Mr. A Lawrence, who has had eighteen years’ experience in the furniture and undertaking business, and who the undersigned confidently recommends as worthy of patronage and able to give full satisfaction to all who may favor him.

E.A. SAUTER, Welland, Feb. 14, 1889

CENTRAL SCHOOL

[Welland Tribune, 15 February 1889]

The question of a site for a central public school is being agitated. The bridge may be taken as the centre of the town as to population, and a site very close to the bridge would cost heavily, as a considerable quantity of land would be required. If considered efficiently central, the third ward school premises would offer the most feasible conditions, as the school board already owns the site, an acre, we believe, fronting on three streets. This would reduce the cost of the proposed change by probably one-half, an item worthy of the most serious consideration.

NEW QUARTERS

[Welland Tribune, 22 February 1889]

The gaol committee met Inspector O’Reilly on Wednesday at Welland, when the matter of securing new homes for gaoler and turnkey was talked over. The committee have several propositions under consideration, one of which is the erection of a double house on the northwest corner of court house grounds to accommodate both officers’ families; – it is practically settled however, that a residence for the turnkey will, at least, be built on this spot. Another proposition is to remove a portion of the gaol wall and erect the gaoler’s residence at the southeast corner of the courthouse-next to the registry office. Still another idea is to purchase the premises now owned by W.J. Best, in rear of registry office, and use that as a home for the gaoler-in case Mr. Best will accept a reasonable figure for the same. Failing in this purchase, the committee might buy some other adjacent property for the purchase. When some definite plan has been settled upon, a sketch of proposed improvements will be submitted to the inspector for approval.

A SOLID IMPROVEMENT

[Welland Tribune, 1 March 1889]

Mr. C Swayze is remodelling his store premises on North Main street. The front windows are to be lowered about eighteen inches and set with large panes of glass; the verandah removed, and the Main street front neatly painted. It will soon take a man with “an heye like an beagle” to find a verandah on our main streets which signifies that we live in a go-ahead town.

ANNUAL BANQUET

[Welland Tribune, 8 March 1889]

The annual banquet given by Messrs. McLaren & Co., the great dry goods merchants of St. Catharines, eventuated at the Welland house in that city on Monday evening. Covers were laid for about forty, the banquet table being heavily freighted with the good things of this life. The literary and musical feast was also thoroughly enjoyed. Added to these pleasant features; the generous firm declared a dividend (payable on the spot) to their employees, and upon opening an envelope each found therein a substantial sum of money-a share of the profits for the year set aside and divided up pro rata. The firm of McLaren & Co., is one of the most prosperous in Ontario. May their shadow never grow less.

GOING TO THE FALLS

[Welland Tribune, 15 March 1889]

We are sorry to learn that Mr. M.S. Bradt has decided to move his canning business from town. He returns to Niagara Falls, where his factory has been granted exemption from taxes for a term of years. He is now erecting a building there for the manufacture of tin cans, and should he not sell the rink building here, he will, we understand, take it down and utilize the material in erecting the factory at the Falls.

HAMPTON BUILDING

[Welland Tribune, 15 March 1889]

EAST Main street loses a familiar (building) face this week, in the disappearance of the old Hampton building, which has been partly torn down and partly moved back, to make way for new TRIBUNE building.

THOROLD FIRE

[Welland Tribune, 15 March 1889]

A disastrous fire occurred about 10 o’clock on Tuesday evening, in the moulding shop at Stuart & Monro’s foundry. The firemen were promptly on the spot, and succeeded in preventing the flames from spreading to the adjoining buildings. The loss is fully recovered by insurance.