Welland History .ca

Historic EVENTS in and around Welland


[Welland Telegraph, 3 January 1913]

Portrait of Sir Isaac Brock
Portrait of Laura Secord
Portrait of General Butler
Reproduction of old painting showing Sir Isaac Brock on horseback.

These four pictures are shown on The Telegraph’s handsome 1913 calendars. If you want a calendar ask for it. If to be sent by mail enclose stamp. Children will not be given calendars unless on written order of parents.


Hugh A. Rose Will Erect Modern Brick Building to Replace Frame Structure

[Welland Telegraph, 18 April 1913]

              Another old frame structure on East Main is to be replaced by a modern brick business block. Hugh A. Rose is having plans prepared for a two-storey brick block, which will be built on the site of his present office building.

             The new block will have a frontage of thirty feet and will extend back from the street a distance of seventy feet. The first floor will be divided into two stores and several suites of several offices will compose the second floor, one of which will be occupied by Mr. Rose, himself.

             Building operations will be started about the first of June and it is hoped to have the block completed by the end of August.

             T.L. Nichols in the architect.


Board of Trade Favors the New Highway

[Welland Telegraph, 14 February 1913]

              A meeting of the Board of Trade was held in the town hall on Wednesday evening. Following the reading of the general correspondence, a discussion on good roads and the removal of the town garbage completed the remainder of the evening.

             Mr. Hatt, in reference to the good roads question, said that it was plain to see that macadam was not the thing for Welland roads. Personally he was interested in concrete as an improvement on macadam. “The Canada Cement Co.,” he said, “have a man who is lecturing on concrete for roads, showing the possibilities and advantages over other mediums. They will send a man to Welland on March 3rd , and it would be a good thing to call a special public meeting to discuss the matter.”

             Mr. Hickey proposed that Mr. Brunner of the Canada Cement Co. should address the Board of Trade on the subject and give all information as to the cost of concrete for roadways.

             Mr. Rainer proposed that it would be a good thing to form an agricultural committee as an addition to the other committees and to ask Mr. Austin to take charge of it. This was carried.

             On the question of garbage removal, B.J. McCormick said that he did not wish to criticize the committee, who had that matter in hand, but he wished to make a protest against the present system of placing garbage pails and boxes in front of houses. It was a disgrace to the town. Visitors coming into the town remarked about it, and altogether the system was a bad one, and the garbage pails are eyesores.

             Mr. Hickey agreed with this and suggested that another team of horses and two wagons to remove the garbage by the town, would not be out of place. Various methods of disposal of garbage were discussed, but no definite decision was arrived at.


Lane’s Jewelery Shop Begins Special Sale on Saturday 15th

[14 February 1913, Welland Telegraph]

              The announcement made by Harry O. Lane, Welland’s well known jeweler,  that he will hold a special sale of all jewelery, cut glass, silverware, etc., included in his stock, beginning Saturday, Feb. 15th, and continuing for several days, is of great interest to all Welland people. Mr. Lane will put on sale any article in his store at actual cost price which means a saving of about thirty per cent on the valuation. Mr. Lane opened business four years ago and placed for the selection of Welland people a stock of jewelry so up-to-date and reasonably priced and reliable as to be an entirely new departure in Welland shopping resources. The articles he will place on sale includes fashionable jewelry such as beautiful lavallieres in exquisite designs, pendants in gold and silver set with precious and semi-precious stones, earrings, bracelets, broaches, bar pins, men’s scarf pins and cuff buttons, fobs, chains, rings etc. The entire stock of watches will also be offered including men’s handsome gold and silver watches, ladies watches, novelty watches, bracelet watches, clocks of all kinds, makes and sizes, gold-headed canes, and gold, silver and pearl-handled umbrellas, the entire array of elegant cut glass and the stock of Rogers’ 1847 silver, which was known and prized in the days of our grandmothers, and for the past sixty-years has been the treasured possession of fortunate housewives. All goods come in both solid and plated ware, in exquisite designs and represents the highest intrinsic value and artistic loveliness. He was imbibed the energetic and enterprising methods of the modern merchant and declares that he will not carry over to a new season any article of last season’s stock. For this reason he inaugurates the sale and extends a cordial invitation to all his friends and patrons to attend and avail themselves of these unexcelled bargains.


Ford Cars to Be Sold Only at Regular Advertised Prices

[Welland Telegraph, 25 July 1913]

             R. Moore & Son, the local Ford dealers, have received the following letter from the head office of the Ford Motor Co.:

             “We have been deluged at this office with inquiries from Ford prospects regarding rumors to the effect that the Ford Co. are selling cars or propose to sell cars at special prices, these prices varying anywhere from $200 per car to three cars for $1000.

             We firmly believe that the rumors which have been spread throughout the Dominion of Canada have been started by persons outside of Ford organization with malicious intent, and we take this opportunity of stating definitely and finally that we have not considered or are we going to consider the sale of Ford cars at anything other than full advertised list prices, neither is there any foundation in the rumor that the Ford Company is going to eliminate its organization of dealers and sell direct to the consumer.

             The entire Ford organization is hereby authorized to deny any rumors pertaining to the sale of of Ford Cars at special prices or under special terms or conditions, and when there are any changes to be made in the Ford sales policy we hereby assure you that our sales organization will be the first to be notified.”

(Sgd.) Ford Motor Co.


J.H. Gardiner Has Been Awarded Contract for Priest’s Residence To Cost $12,000

[People's Press, 30 September 1913]

             J.H Gardiner was last week awarded the contract to build a priest’s residence at the site of the new R.C. church, corner Hellems avenue and Griffith street. The residence will be of solid brick construction for which Hamilton pressed brick will be used, and will contain fourteen rooms. It will cost in the neighborhood of $12,000.

             Tenders are now in for the new church, and the contract for this edifice will be let the latter part of this month. Its cost will be between $30,000 and $40,000.

             The construction of both the church and priest’s house will be rushed, and it is expected they will be completed by next spring.

[See related POSTCARD: St.Mary's Roman Catholic Church]


             Fire started in the attic of a double house on Regent street owned by O.H. Garner and occupied by Mrs. Zimmer and Mr. Briggs. The blaze started over the apartments of Mrs. Zimmer and was first noticed by neighbors. An alarm was turned in, to which the firemen responded. A bucket brigade had about drowned out the blaze when the firemen arrived and only the chemical was used. No one had been in the attic and the only explanation of the fire is spontaneous combustion. The loss in wearing apparel was about $150 and the damage to the house was in the neighborhood of $25.00.

 Welland Tribune

23 October 1913