OLD LANDMARK IS BEING RAZED
One of the Prosperous Industries of Wellandport in Early History
[Welland Tribune April 27, 1929]
Known as George Steward’s Carriage Works, with a Large staff of Workmen.
An old landmark is being razed in the village known as Peter Smith’s blacksmith. In the pioneer days of Wellandport it was owned by George Steward, who conducted quite an extensive industry in the manufacturing of wagons, carriages, cutters and sleighs, employing a large number of mechanics, consisting of wagonmakers, blacksmiths, painters and upholsters. It was one of the main industries of the district. The old building being torn down was one of the departments of the factory. Like many other industries in small centres, it was put out of business by the big corporations who manufactured on a large scale, and with which the small firms could not compete. Many large displays of Mr. Stewart’s handicraft were exhibited at local fairs throughout the district. The family of Stewards consisted of George, Jacob, Wm. J. and Jesse.
Add A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.